Route details / profile can be found here https://veloviewer.com/segments/9649746
There are some additional precautions for marshals, but for competitors specifically, the key points for you to note are as follows.
- If you feel unwell in any way, please do not come and race. Stay at home and get a test if symptoms suggest possible Covid.
- Remember that the sensitivity of the general public (including your fellow competitors and marshals) currently ranges from relaxed to paranoid. Let’s respect those at the sensitive end of the scale by showing them that, as a club, Gala CC is being careful, respectful of others’ feelings and compliant with social-distancing rules.
- On arrival, find a suitable place to park and do not congregate in a group to chat. It’s fine to use the Maxton Church car park as normal, for example, but get yourself ready, say a quick hello and get away on your bike.
- When you’re warming up, make sure you feel okay and if in any doubt as to whether you’re feeling 100% well, the same rule as 1 above applies.
- For sign on there will be a sign in sheet on a clipboard to complete, in a suitable location (advised by a marshal at the event). Take your own pen, queue at the appropriate spacing dictated by Govt guidelines, sign yourself in and pop the right money (£2) into the plastic box next to the clipboard.
- To eliminate the handling of race numbers, your number will be allocated as you sign on, but you will not get a plastic number to pin on. So, if you sign in on the sheet at number 7, that’s your number and you must remember it or write it onto the back of your hand while you have a pen in your hand. As you fly across the finish line you must clearly shout your number to the timekeeper – please don’t forget this bit!
- At the start line, we have previously tended to congregate some way from the start and formed a second queue of varying numbers of riders close to the start line. In the “new normal” TT, we will continue to warm up until close to our start time and be advised (dependent on the course and its safe-space availability) to form a start-line queue of “x” number of riders, suitably spaced per distancing guidelines.
- For your actual start, the normal countdown will take place but the luxury of the “holder-upper” will not be available. It will be a solo standing start, so slick clipping-in will become a new essential skill!
- When you come through the finish line you should continue riding, back to your car if you came in it, and make a swift exit back home or onto your ride, without congregating. This is the hardest part for me as the social craic of TTs is one of my favourite bits, but it’s essential, for the time being.
- In the same vein, there will be no ego-massaging/public humiliation (delete as appropriate!) available from the post-race announcement of results, nor, sadly, any tea, coffee or biscuits. Results will wherever possible be posted onto the Gala CC Official Facebook Page immediately on arrival home by one of the marshal team.
Your following of the above advice is much appreciated. Go and smash it!